The US Open kicks off this Monday, with the bottom half of both the men’s and women’s singles draws in action.
The first player to enter Arthur Ashe Stadium will be third seed Garbiñe Muguruza. The Wimbledon champion, in line to grab the top of the WTA rankings, will face local Varvara Lepchenko at 11:00 EDT.
However, the match of the day will start at approximately 19:45 EDT. Simona Halep (also in the run for the number one spot) will then face Maria Sharapova. The Russian leads the head-to-head 6-0, but has only played four tournaments so far since her comeback from a doping ban. Furthermore, her only appearance on hard courts since her comeback has been in Stanford, as she has struggled with an injury since Rome. It would be the perfect opportunity for the Romanian to log her first win against the former number one.
Other US Open Day 1 matches to follow
Many other matches will be worth the watch in the first day of the US Open (all the hours are approximate):
-  Marin Cilic vs Tennys Sandgren (12:30 EDT)
-  David Ferrer vs Mikhail Kukushkin (12:30 EDT)
-  Jo-Wilfried Tsonga vs Marius Copil (12:30 EDT)
-  Diego Schwartzman vs Carlos Berlocq (13:00 EDT)
-  Venus Williams vs Viktoria Kuzmova (14:30 EDT)
- Denis Shapovalov vs Daniil Medvedev (14:30 EDT)
- Thanasi Kokkinakis vs Janko Tipsarevic (14:30 EDT)
-  Ana Konjuh vs Ashleigh Barty (16:30 EDT)
-  Alexander Zverev vs Darian King (21:30 EDT)
Interesting to note: the “battle of the comebacks” between Thanasi Kokkinakis and Janko Tipsarevic. There will also be a Next Gen encounter between Denis Shapovalov (18) and Daniil Medvedev (21), followed by another young generation clash, this time on the women’s side, between Ashleigh Barty (21), and N°21 seed Ana Konjuh (19). The only downside of the last two matches: they will be played on Court 7.